Has one of our available horses or donkeys caught your eye? Can you picture them in your life, and can you offer them a safe, loving, long-term home? Then maybe adoption is for you!
1) First, please review the terms of the adoption contract (see below) before filling out an adoption application. If you cannot agree to these terms, you will not be allowed to adopt. If you can comply to these terms, please submit an adoption application (see below) and $15 application fee to begin the adoption process.
2) If/when your adoption application is approved, we will set up an appointment for you to come visit the farm.
3) We meet with you at the farm, and observe while you visit and evaluate the horse on the ground and under saddle (if appropriate). **Note: We do not adopt to people who cannot come and visit the animal(s) they are interested in. Good chemistry between the adopter and the animal is a critical aspect of the final approval process.
4) If you are interested in adopting after your visit, ask us whether you would be approved based upon your visit. If yes, congratulations! It's time for you to fill out the adoption contract (see below) and put down a non-refundable deposit!
5) Finally, you get to make arrangements for making the final payment, getting a health certificate and current Coggins (all horses have negative Coggins paperwork when they arrive at BBFER, but will need to be updated before leaving the farm), and making arrangements to pick up your new family member or have him/her delivered.
Adoption prices are subject to change as we evaluate horses and they undergo additional training. The photos are updated regularly with available animals. When adopting an animal from us, you will be required to fill out an adoption application and contract and satisfy a farm check, reference and vet check. Adopting a horse or other animal is a life-long commitment. You must be able to afford cost of hay, supplements, veterinary care, farrier care and boarding (if you do not own your own farm). Any mare adopted will NOT be allowed to be bred as part of the adoption agreement. We do not make money (and usually lose money) when rescuing and adopting out a horse. Adoption fees help us recoup some of the costs we have incurred so that along with donations we are able to save other horses.
Please email us at to have the forms sent to you if you cannot access the forms below.
There is a $15 dollar application fee to cover our time checking your references (farrier, vet, etc.). If you adopt within 2 months of your first visit to see the horse, this fee will be applied to your final adoption amount. Fill out the application and mail to Beech Brook Farm, 101 Prospect Hill Rd., Groton CT 06340, or you can scan and email the form to . Once we have received the application and you have been approved for a farm visit, we will contact you to make an appointment for you to come out and interact with the horse you are interested in.
2. ADOPTION CONTRACT (click to download)